To apply for an open position, please e-mail resume and letter of interest to Human Resources at: firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to: 480 481.8173, or mail to:
Desert Botanical Garden
1201 N. Galvin Parkway
Phoenix, AZ 85008
DBG Camp Instructor
Part-time, Seasonal (Spring Break 2017)
This position provides fun and engaging environmental education experiences for camp program participants.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Participate in a team training session prior to the start of camp
- Prepare and organize daily camp supplies and instructional materials for your class
- Communicate with Operations Assistant regarding supply needs, before and after camp
- Serve as lead teacher and primary supervisor for all aspects of at least one onsite camp session: March 6-10 and/or March 13-17, 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. or extended camp March 6-10 and/or March 13-17, 3:00 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- Prepare classroom and initiate all activities while camp is in session
- Maintain a safe, tidy and well organized learning environment
- Work as a team member with volunteers and staff to communicate daily with parents and produce excellent experiences for camp participants
- Coordinate team teaching and support responsibilities with Volunteer Teaching Assistants and Volunteer Camp Counselors
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Informal Science Education Coordinator
Position requirements include:
- B.A. or B.S. in Education, Environmental Education, Life Sciences or related field, or degree in progress
- Demonstrated classroom and outdoor teaching experience; previous camp instruction preferred
- Knowledge of Sonoran Desert ecology, botany, horticulture, or similar preferred
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- Ability to pass extended background check
- Ability to traverse Garden trails in all weather conditions
- Light bending and lifting (up to 25 lbs.) associated with routine job duties
The benefits of regular employment at the Desert Botanical Garden include a competitive benefits package*, complimentary family membership, employee admissions exchange, wellness initiatives and discounts.
Reasonable accommodation may be made, where necessary, to allow a qualified individual to perform essential job functions. Honored as one of the 2012 Best Places to Work by the Phoenix Business Journal, the Desert Botanical Garden is an equal-opportunity employer that values diversity.
*subject to eligibility requirements