Desert Landscape School
About the program
Receive in-depth training in landscaping with desert-adapted plants by signing up for Desert Landscape School. Spend one morning a week with the horticulture staff at the Desert Botanical Garden.
Since 1997, the Desert Landscape School has trained people with a wide variety of backgrounds, aptitudes, previous knowledge and goals. Among the School’s special features are:
- Access to the Garden's extensive collection of desert plants
- Hands-on based training in horticultural techniques, with a focus on skill development through actual projects like the unique capstone project
- Knowledgeable staff instructors
- Open to all – no prior experience required, just the physical ability and desire to do landscaping work
Learn more about the program – and how you can register for Desert Landscape School – with the links below:
Established in response to the hundreds of requests for qualified green industry professionals the Garden receives each year, the Desert Landscape School graduates will:
- Learn how to care for the major groups of desert plants
- Master important horticultural skills such as pruning, irrigation and integrated pest management
- Develop important skills as they integrate concepts learned in class into an actual landscape design and installation project
During the program, participants will have the opportunity to meet and learn from a unique and diverse student body and learn at the Garden with experts in the field.
- When: School starts in the beginning of September. See a Class Schedule
- Where: Archer House Classroom at the Garden
- Day: Offered on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday. Students can register for one of the days according to their preference.
- Time: 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Cost: $1,275 for complete program; includes materials and tools.
Cancellation & Refund Policy
- Programs may be canceled due to insufficient enrollment.
- A full refund will be made in the event the Desert Botanical Garden cancels a program.
- A refund is available through the first week of the program less a $125 processing fee.
- Refunds cannot be issued for missed class sessions.