To apply for an open position, please e-mail resume and letter of interest to Human Resources at: email@example.com, fax to: 480 481.8173, or mail to:
Desert Botanical Garden
1201 N. Galvin Parkway
Phoenix, AZ 85008
Full-time. posted 5/28/2013
The priority of the Groundskeeper position is to keep Garden areas that are open to visitors in top appearance and operationally safe. The Groundskeeper is responsible for the overall non-maintenance care, cleanliness and grooming of the grounds, building exteriors, fixtures and infrastructure (excluding plant beds) of the Desert Botanical Garden.
- General Grounds upkeep: Keep the exterior of the Garden’s buildings, patios, water features, roads, parking lots, paths, trails, signs, fences, walls and gates clean, clear and safe for passage; may include raking of trails, sweeping and vacuuming of dirt, debris and water from walkways and cleaning walls, signs, patios, and the interior/exterior of recycle/trash receptacles.
- Safety: Ensure that clean, clear and safe conditions exist for pedestrian traffic throughout the Garden at all times by monitoring the condition of public paths, trails, patios, buildings, and exterior fixtures.
- Work Orders: Execute assigned work orders that pertain to the cleanliness and grooming of grounds and/or pedestrian path appearance and safe use.
- Other: Support all Garden departments as assigned and perform related general operations and safety support tasks.
Requirements include the ability to operate a motor vehicle with a valid driver’s license; ability to lift up to 40 lbs. and bend, stoop & squat repeatedly through the day; good communication skills and ability to complete tasks on time; exemplary customer service skills, with a welcoming and pleasant approach to visitor needs and concerns; ability to actively follow Safety, Conservation and Sustainable practices; schedule availability to work early mornings and evening events, as needed.
The benefits of regular employment at the Desert Botanical Garden include a competitive benefits package*, complimentary family membership, employee admissions exchange, wellness initiatives and discounts.
Reasonable accommodation may be made, where necessary, to allow a qualified individual to perform essential job functions. Honored as one of the 2012 Best Places to Work by the Phoenix Business Journal, the Desert Botanical Garden is an equal-opportunity employer.
*subject to eligibility requirements
16-20 hours/week, unpaid. Summer internship available. The Desert Botanical Garden is a major cultural institution in the Phoenix metropolitan area with a multi-faceted mission: conservation, education, research and exhibition of desert plants. It welcomes 315,000 visitors annually – roughly 50% local and 50% tourists. The Marketing Department is responsible for the Garden’s message in the community and its primary task is to increase admissions, sell tickets for events and communicate with Garden membership. The Marketing Intern works with the Marketing Department to assist with achieving its vision and goals. While this position has specific assigned duties, it will also allow the intern to participate in the planning and execution of the Garden’s marketing strategy to ensure a well-rounded experience.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participate in planning meetings for Garden events, exhibits and activities.
- Participate in the marketing department’s strategy planning and execution.
- Working with the print and advertising manger, to submit insertion orders for advertising and maintain the department’s advertising books, matching insertion orders to actual ads.
- Working with the digital content manager, to assist with updates to the Garden’s Website and participate in the Garden’s social media activities on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Yelp.
- Assist with media relations including updating the online media center at dbg.org, composing and issuing press releases and fulfilling image requests. Monitor and organize media clippings.
- Assist with organizing and maintaining the Garden’s photo database.
- Edit and write on-hold messaging scripts.
- Fulfill requests for Garden collateral.
- Other duties as assigned.
This internship should be considered by an active or recently graduated student who is looking to learn in a dynamic marketing environment. This person should be interested in marketing, media relations, journalism or advertising and have the ability to write and edit. Communications students preferred but not mandatory. Can be taken for school credit.
Please send cover letter and resume to marketing[at].org.